Friday, June 29, 2012

Fads and trends

 Whenever the kids look at our childhood pictures they always ask about what clothes I am wearing.  (They do this ever so nicely never making fun or being sarcastic.  Ok, Ok...We all know that  it is more like, "Mom, what on earth are you wearing?!?")  Anyway, as much as I try to explain that our clothes were in fashion and one day their childhood photos will be made fun of by their children, they simply don't understand.

Here are a few examples.

Photo #1-Back in the 80's it was in style  to peg your pants.  You really only saw this done by teenagers.  Because we were the "COOL" ones.  Anyway, pegging your pants is done by folding the bottom of your pant leg so it is tight against your leg.  You then roll it up a few times to keep it in place.  Then because your pants are now shorter that intended, you wear matching socks scrunched up at your ankles.  It really is quite the statement.  I will admit that I was the only one in the family who did this on a regular basis. I endured mocking from the family, because "all my friends were doing it."  I tried to help Jordan and John on the fashion train, but they just weren't convinced.

Photo #2-In this picture you might notice that I am sporting a cast.  You may notice that it is WHITE.   Back in the day casts came in one color... white.  However, if I remember right this was my second cast of the summer.  The first one was plaster and then this one was made out of a brand new light weight casting material. These days cast come in all colors and patterns.  I have even seen casts in camouflage.   
 

Photo #3-I will limit my comments to the following:
"Whoa, look at the bell bottoms!"
"Who wears short shorts?"

3 comments:

  1. One more comment on the last photo: "Loving the shorts and knee high length striped socks!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more comment: I love the button up shirts tucked in to the elastic waist shorts, very stylin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture with Grandma and Grandpa Smith is at their home in Oskaloosa. i wonder if this is one of the first times we went to visit them at this house.

    Photo # 2 is with Great Grandma Mary Budge. She lived to be 100 years old. I remember when I first came to BYU and went to visit her. She told me not to marry one of these Utah boys. She said that they are not as great as they think they are! I think I must have found one of the exceptions!

    ReplyDelete