Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy 70th Birthday, Poppa J

This post is dedicated to a wonderful man.  He is known in our family as Jerry/Dad/Daddy/Poppa J.  I know we are all blessed to have Dad in our lives.  These pictures reflect some of the fond memories of Dad.
Some of these include:
*Hats...I always remember dad wearing a hat.  Whether it was a cap to work in, his cowboy hat or a Santa Claus hat, Dad always has a hat with him.  (If you go back and look at some of Dad's childhood pictures, he had a hat on then too.)
*Dad loved the outdoors.  There are many memories of hunting, fishing and camping trips.  Even just Saturdays spent in the mountains wading in streams and riding aspen trees.
*Dad has a great smile.  I remember Dad always having a funny story to tell.  (Sometimes they were even true! Just kidding, Dad!)
*I remember Dad being a hard worker.  I appreciate how hard Dad worked to provide for our family.  You taught us the value of work and sacrifice.

Happy Birthday, Dad.  We all love you!  Thanks for being a great dad/grandpa!

(I want to invite the family to share some of your happy memories of dad. Mom, could you maybe tell us a bit about some of the pictures.  I just added whatever was on the back of the pictures, but I would love a little more info about them.)

Christmas Morning (Mid 80's) Dad got his new Stetson
October (Mid 80's) Hunting trip with Phil Devoe

Jun 1985

1961-Mission Picture

Christmas 1984

1975-Dad holding Janice

January 1986

Late 1980's

November 1962-On Dad's mission in Florida

Good Buddies, Jerry & Ray (Before Dad's mission at Grandma and Grandpa Smith's house)


Early 1970's

June 1973

December 1991

1 comment:

  1. Memories of Dad:
    I remember running to the door or out to Dad's work truck to be the first one to give him a kiss and welcome him home. I can also remember sitting at his feet, helping him untie his work boots.
    Dad always had great stories about how he lost his hair- in fact as a kid I was never entirely sure if he was joking or not when he told me an Indian scalped him.
    I love that Dad always took us to church and encouraged us to be the best we could be. I love that Dad took his toy puppet, Jake, to church with him and had him speak from the pulpit. What a great sense of humor!
    Love you Daddy!

    ReplyDelete